Saturday, January 21, 2012

Really? Is that An Argument? Was I Suppose to be Convinced?

Have any of you seen this http://front.moveon.org/two-lesbians-raised-a-baby-and-this-is-what-they-got

I suppose the young man is trying to convince us that same sex parents make good parents and institute of marriage can exist even when there is not one man of consenting age and one woman of consenting age.  And if those statements did not go against all logic and sense, there wasn't mountains of evidence to the contrary, and I were stupid, then maybe, it would convince me.

The man speaks for three minutes - 3 minutes! - and we are suppose to look at him like he is this intelligent, successful, well adjusted gentleman.  I don't know about you, but I do try to not judge people too quickly - and I certainly wouldn't rule out any major character flaws (which seems to be the purpose of his speech) in merely three minutes.  The guy could cheat on his tests in school, shoplift and beat his girlfriend for all we know.  He certainly wouldn't admit that and even if he wanted to, it might not make it into the three minute speech he has to convince you that lesbianism is the way to go.

So why is everyone standing around him, smiling and clapping like he gave this long, well researched speech? Turn the tables, and if I stood up and spoke for three minutes about all my successes and how my heterosexual parents raised me so wonderfully, do you think I would convince anyone that is the way to go?  We have the the 2000+ years teachings of the church, research and evidence, plus nature to tell us that children are meant to be raised and do best when raised in monogamous heterosexual marriages.  We know that this is the truth, but if I spoke about it, even if I spoke eloquently and with passion, as this young man did, I would be just a small weak argument, at best.

What struck me right away when I watched this video, was sadness.  I felt so sad for this young man and his situation.  What is one of the first things that people say when a parent is lost in a heterosexual marriage?  "Oh, little Timmy will have to be raised without a father!"  "Poor little Vanessa will have to grow up without a mother!"  We see the loss of a parent as tragic - why would you choose to inflict that on a child?!  It boggles my mind that someone would choose to do this and then go on to teach their child that it is best and others should do it too.  That should raise some really good adults for a real fine society.

The other point that struck me was his comment that they do not want to be treated like "second class citizens" anymore.  So, to be considered a first class citizen, you have to be able to marry whoever you want?  That opens a pretty big can of worms.  What if I want to marry someone who is already married, or I want to marry another woman, or I want to marry two men, or two men and a woman, or two men and two women, or a little boy, or my brother, or a monkey?  According to this young man, I am a second class citizen if I am denied any of these unions.  I also take offense at the term "second class citizens."  Second class citizens was how minorities were treated when they could not go to the same schools, hospitals, drink out of the same water fountains, go into the same stores or use public transportation like the rest of society.  Second class citizens is not  a term to be used carelessly by a group of people struggling with their disordered sexuality who are not allowed to legally make all of their unhealthy and destructive fantasies come true.  Part of the purpose of laws is to protect society, and sometimes it is from yourself you need protection.

What a sad road this society is walking down.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment